Re: Can nuclear reactors survive a terrorist attack?

> If you saw the "60 Minutes" segment on nuclear reactor safety last

> night, what did you think of it?

John,

I saw the episode. I thought:

1.The gave each side a chance to state their case.

2. Mr. Beagle from NEI didn't come across very well. He said that the govt. needed to take

responsibility for reactor safety, and said that he thought it would take 6 months for this to be in

place. When asked if he thought that we had 6 months, he said that he did. Kind of a stupid

statement knowing what kind of havoc we just saw, and, not knowing what "they" have planned

for us, step 2, step 3 and step 4, probably already planned.

3. The other expert, can't recall his name, seemed more in tune with the technology.

4. They mentioned that the NRC first said that the containment building would hold, and then

retracted that statement the next day. That was a true statement.

5. They showed the rocket test that disintegrated, with a 2 inch penetration into the test

containment section. Not a bad test, but, there is no extrapolation based on that to today's larger

jets, such as a 747 or bigger.

6. I didn't care too much for Mr. Beagle's statement that the height of a containment building

would most likely preclude a direct hit, since they are not as tall as the WTC. Oh really? These

planes do land at airports, and, can hit the end of a runway, each and every time, with precision.

I suppose if one were to out in the coordinates in for a reactor building, they could also hit it each

and every time.

LikeI saLike I said, I think 60 Minutes gave each side their say. While I have confidence that a reactor

building will hold. I just don't have the knowledge or expertise to prove it. I don't think anyone

else does either. It's all conjecture at this point, until someone can test it, before some other

force does.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net