RE: gold-198

I work at IPSN in France, and one of my missions is to establish a review of

radiological accidents resulting into deterministic effects occurring

worldwide.

So, I can give you some informations about these events.

1. Yes, all these events occured

2. All these accidents conducted to internal overexposures. Indicated

sources are good.

The second one concerned a intravenously administered radioactive colloidal

gold-198. The patient received a dose (200 mCi) 1000 times superior than

intended dose and died after 69 days.

All these events are listed in the paper : Gonzales A.J. (1999) Des

initiatives qui s'imposent, Bulletin IAEA 41 (3), 2-17.

The second accident is detailled in the book : Gusev I.A, Guskova A.K., F.A.

Mettler. Eds (2001) Medical management of radiation accidents, Second

Edition, CRC Press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington. D.C.

pp:361-362.

I expect that these data will give you some informations.

Valérie Chambrette

Institute Protection and Nuclear Safety

Human health protection and dosimetry division

e-mail : valerie.chambrette@ipsn.fr