NRC inforamtion sources

I have gotten six useful (sometimes contradictory) replies from my

radsafe post, and a lot of "me too" replies.  here is a summation of

the useful replies and associated commentary that came with them.  I

got enough "What did you find out ?" replies that I felt I should post

this.  These responses have had identifying info taken out to the best

of my ability.

=============

1.

I am writing to give you some bad news. I have spoken with a

OPA (publc affairs) at the NRC. The person in charge of this is

a Mr. Victor L. Dricks at 301-415-8204.

- the site is down because the "NRC was crucified in the media for

having a controversial document on the site." I believe that the

document was the jet into the reactor containment report.

- there is no date when the site is going to be returned (even in

part).

- the NRC has no plan to review the documents on the site to

determine if they should be on or off. That is, they are not

presently reviewing the materials on the site to determine if they

should be on or off.  (?)

- the NRC is still developing a plan to plan on how to implement a

review system  on the site and new documents.

- the NRC will not be putting things of obvious "no terrorist threat"

(like the 8 series of Reg Guides, how to apply for an NRC license,

how to renew an NRC license, etc.) up until the review is completed.

- the NRC answer to every request is to "call the PDR Public Document

Room and get it from them."

- the NRC feels a greater duty to the safety of the American people

than making any quick move to get the information needed by their

licensee's or the public back up quickly.

- I was asked for who I am, who I work for, where I am, my position,

what information I "thought" I needed, and why I needed the

information. When he found I was in an agreement state the little

help I was getting went to a "why do you want it from the NRC - call

your state program." My answers that the state was directing us to

pages on the NRC website (now unavailable) were met with a kind of

"that is your problem" and again a go to the PDR.

[The non sequiteur in this statement is of course, the Agreement States

don't do nuclear power plants, what are they supposed to provide for

those requests? -ZAC]

- My not too gentle reminders that the NRC was a government agency

that has both an internal safety duty (to shut down the website and

check for sensative materials) and a responsibility to the licensee's

and public to make public information  available to the public were

simply pushed aside.

If you push you will get the "who are you, who do you work for, what

is your position, why do you need this information" followed by the

"well I guess YOU are not concerned about how terrorists could use

this information?" It is a catch 22. What I (and I think all of us)

expect is that the NRC will get a program going to restore as much of

the website as possible and as soon as possible. There seem to be no

plans to do that.

===========

2.

As for the NRC website, please understand from where the organization

is coming.  Although the information has been readily available for

some

time, the NRC is attempting to minimize the potential for organizations

and individuals to mis-use ANY information provided on the website.  I

hope you would agree it is more prudent to fail conservatively in this

arena.  As the "official" NRC response has stated, the staff is working

to restore the information as soon as safely possible.  Indeed, even

those of us within the organization have been restricted from the

information.

Does this cause an inconvenience?  Absolutely.

As you most likely know, the mission of the NRC is to protect the

health and safety of the public in regards to SNM usage and byproducts.

view this temporary minor inconvenience well worth the final result of

eliminating one source of sensitive information to those who would

misuse it.

The NRC has been redesigning its website for several months to achieve

a more user-friendly interface.  This temporary shutdown has provided

an

impetus for the website designers to speed along the implementation.

============

3.

You may be able to get the information you need from INPO.  It may not

be as timely as NRC's but it should be better than no information at

all.

You will have to contact INPO to set up authorization to access their

site,

if you haven't done so already.

============

4.

I don't know of any recourse other than to find out how the NRC was

getting

their info about the plants and get yourself put on automatic cc: from

there.

Might have to call all the plants--you know they're still reporting to

the NRC

every day.

============

5.

A FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request might work.  But, given the

time

allowed for them to respond it would no longer be timely information.

============

6.

When the site comes back up, it may still restrict access to some areas

and

require a password to get the information.

=====

- A day without radiation would be a day without sunshine.

Zack Clayton

Columbus, Ohio, USA

Find a job, post your resume.

http://careers.yahoo.com