Re: Union of Concerned Scientists

South Anna??????  Someone please stop the madness!!

Mitchell Davis, RRPT
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: Union of Concerned Scientists

HI Ruth,

I have asked Dave Lochbaum directly whether or not he's anti-nuke. He has said repeatedly that he is 'pro-safety'. He pointed out the reactors in Virginia (I believe it was South Anna) as reactors that run safely and well.

What UCS and Dave insist on is that NRC follow its own rules. As Radsafers I'm sure that you would agree that NRC should follow its own rules when it comes to safety. For example the steam generators at Indian Point wouldn't have had a tube rupture if NRC had followed its own rules and required IP to replace their defective steam gen.

Watchdogs like UCS perform a vital function, and help keep nuclear plants safe. Do they occasionally go 'too far'? That is an issue that can be discussed.

Right now the problem that the nuclear power industry has to deal with is the perception of danger. If terrorists can pull of the WTT attack, then other supposedly 'impossible' attacks become quite possible. BUt UCS is not a johny-come-lately to the issue of security at nuclear plants. This is something they have worked on for the last few years.

peace
norm

RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

Norman Cohen says that UCS is not anti-nuke but interested in safety.  Of course that's what they are going to SAY.  Can anyone feature them saying "we are anti-nuke?" Who can fault someone who claims an interest in safety?   However, I do not believe that they have any interest in "safety'' except in a sort of general apple-pie-and-motherhood way.  Their pronouncements and press releases and activities all give the lie to a putative interest in "safety".  All this back and forth blasting away at NRC has nothing whatever to do with "safety" nor does the ceaseless endless criticism of DOE, nor for that matter do the exaggerations of the dangers of nuclear power and particularly of transportation of radioactive materials.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)