Union of Concerned Scientists

Norman Cohen says that UCS is not anti-nuke but interested in safety.  Of course that's what they are going to SAY.  Can anyone feature them saying "we are anti-nuke?" Who can fault someone who claims an interest in safety?   However, I do not believe that they have any interest in "safety'' except in a sort of general apple-pie-and-motherhood way.  Their pronouncements and press releases and activities all give the lie to a putative interest in "safety".  All this back and forth blasting away at NRC has nothing whatever to do with "safety" nor does the ceaseless endless criticism of DOE, nor for that matter do the exaggerations of the dangers of nuclear power and particularly of transportation of radioactive materials.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com