Re: Union of Concerned Scientists

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

> Norman Cohen says that UCS is not anti-nuke but interested in safety.  Of

> course that's what they are going to SAY.  Can anyone feature them saying "we

> are anti-nuke?"

	--UCS was originally founded in the early 1970s to address

nuclear safety issues. When DOE responded to the issues UCS was founded to

address, adequacy of the emergency core cooling system, all but one of the

founders were satisfied, but that one turned it into an anti-nuke

organization which joined up with Ralph Nader to become a political

organization. At that point, all of the other founders resigned and became

pro-nuke.