Re: Union of Concerned Scientists

Norm your statement does not make sense:

>What UCS and Dave insist on is that NRC follow its own rules. As Radsafers I'm sure that >you would agree that NRC should follow its own rules when it comes to safety. For example >the steam generators at Indian Point wouldn't have had a tube rupture if NRC had followed >its own rules and required IP to replace their defective steam gen.

Just what NRC rule requires that a utility replace a steam generator?  Nuclear plants are allowed to operate with known leakage via the SG's.  The NRC's hammer is in the Technical Specifications that requires the plant to shut down when the leakage exceeds or is expected to exceed a predetermined known and conservative value.  If the plant is under a special requirements for degraded SGs the replacement is based on percent of damaged tubes that have been plugged.

Since you evidently know very little about nuclear safety and your statements prove that, you must be Anti-nuke for spreading false and damaging innuendoes.

"In science there is only physics; everything else is stamp collecting."
                                      --Ernest Rutherford

Dean Chaney, CHP, IBA (aka High Plains Drifter)
Fairfield, CA
magna1@jps.net