[802] 496-3356
email: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com
=====

In a message dated 11/5/01 3:51:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, sfrantz@YAHOO.COM writes:

Subj:nuclear safety groups?
Date:11/5/01 3:51:32 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:    sfrantz@YAHOO.COM (Steve Frantz)
Sender:    owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
To:    radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu (radsafe)

The UCS and other groups say that they are not anti-nuclear,
they are pro-nuclear safety.

OK, then let them define their safety goal in measurable means.

How thick of a containment is safe? How many hours of training
per year for the licensed operators? How many backup deisel
generators? What level of releases above background? How many
hours of NRC inspection per year? How many radiation induced
cancers in the neighboring population? Anything at all
quantifiable?

They will not answer these questions. They will only say that
what is being done is not enough. Anything more that is done is
also not enough. The plants are not safe.

Can the plants be made safe through modification? NO! They are
very dangerous and we can’t trust the utility or the NRC to do
what they promise!

Will the plants be safe if they are shut down? NO! The spent
nuclear fuel at the site is very dangerous!

Should the spent nuclear fuel be moved to Nevada or some other
storage facility? NO! Moving it is much too dangerous!

They say that the plants are unsafe if operating, unsafe if
shutdown, and unsafe if the utility tries to remove the
radioactive material.

What is their solution? THERE IS NO SOLUTION!!!

Now, why would anyone think that they are anti-nuclear?

Stephen Frantz
Reed College
sfrantz@reed.edu