Anti-Nuclear Sentiments and Nuclear Plant Vulnerability to Terrorists

As I have been reading the posts on this subject, I find myself growing ever more cynical.  While I agree that these topics are somewhat related to the purpose of this list server, I believe the continuing conversation to be akin to "beating a dead horse."  Regardless of professional opinion and the existence of scientific proof (however you wish to define proof), there will be those that will never be swayed to the benefits of nuclear power.  I draw this humble conclusion because there exists a society (of fairly rational people) that maintains the Earth is flat.

The more that we, as professionals, join in the fray, the more ammunition we give the junk-scientists and nay-sayers.  I am not advocating silence - this would leave nothing but the voice of ignorance to teach society.  But I do feel that we as a profession would have much to gain by voicing our position from a central point.  We need concerted effort to bolster the Society's ability to voice and advertise opinions on such hot topics as vulnerabilities, food irradiation, beneficial uses, and etc.

One other point I'd like to make about nuclear plant vulnerabilities.  Do we really think that terrorists are so dumb that they'd try to hit such a hardened target?  Not to give anyone an idea, but the power grid is a much easier target.  Why is it that we have individuals that focus on the plant itself?  In my opinion, it's an easy mark, many people don't understand nuclear plants, and the form of "verbal terrorism" used can cause great panic without much substance.  I realize that I have probably started an even greater rift between the junk-scientists and the professional community, but I really can't go on listening to the "junkies" abuse without giving them the label they deserve - Verbal Terrorists.

These are only my opinions, and you know what opinions are like,

Pete Darnell