RE: nuclear plant threat

Having designed and analyzed nuclear containment and emergency systems for

15 years, I have to weigh in on this. Rather than postulate multitudes of

impact scenarios and counter technical arguments, the fundamental truth is

that a fully loaded 767 with a transcontinental load of fuel is a

significant adversary for a nuclear plant. In fact, it is a significant

adversary to any man made item from above ground to 50 below ground. (If

you don't like my 50ft, pick your own number). It is one hell of a bomb. So

let's stay focused on the real issue of how to make these flying bombs

terror proof.

If someone perseverates over the vulnerability and impact of an attack on a

nuclear plant, I can help add over a 1000 other targets to their list and

the attendant damage each will cause. If this is not enough to dilute their

nuclear power focus, then we can get into the biological, chemical and

nuclear threat arenas. In the end, everyone has a right to stay in denial.

In a free society, we are at risk and must recognize and accept it. And

stomp hard on terrorism.

These of course are my personal views.

Chris Horley

E. Chris Horley, P.E.