RE: jet engine penetration depth

Group

If you hit the containment head on, the engines won't hit the containment at

all.  The engine to engine span is quite wide...  The engines if they did

hit would be glancing off of a curved surface...  I have physically

witnessed test results of non-explosive, high velocity hardened munitions

striking concrete structures and there is a significant reduction in

penetration if the impact vector is anything other than normal to the impact

surface.  Even if the containment were flat, if the shaft of the engine did

not strike the surface perpendicularly, the shaft will rotate and slam

broadside into the contaiment.  The force instead of being over the cross

sectional area of the end of the shaft is then dispersed over the entire

cross sectional are of the long side of the shaft.  The resultant

penetration is <5% of that for a normally incident crash.

In addition to rebar, there are post-tension tendons to provide additional

resistance to cracking.  Even if you crack and significantly crumble the

concrete, the steel rebar would analagous to kevlar, which deforms but is

tough and difficult to break.  The steel inner liner would be dented inward

like a Pepsi can, but most likely intact.

I'm neither for or against, it's just that this is much more than smashing a

sledge hammer into a cynder block.  I also trying to model the real world

with a high degree of accuracy could require detailed analysis of many

variables.  Someone please forward these points to the persons performing

the calcs.

I miss good old fashioned geeky health physics.  My delete key is getting

worn out lately.

Glen Vickers

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation

proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject

to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies.

This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity

to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this

e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,

copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments

to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and

permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any

printout. Thank You.