Germanium Specs - Any Ideas Appreciated

All,

We are preparing to purchase a matched set of germanium detectors and

looking for ideas to put into a purchase specification.

Application:

Counting of small (mg) samples with many isotopes (spectra contain 60+

lines many close) using a sample changer which drops a test tube down in

front of the detector(s).  Looking to establish the lowest MDA we can.

Energy range we currently use in analysis is 94 Kev and above.

The samples are activated in our research reactor for the purpose of

measuring element concentrations in media to the part-per-trillion level.

Our current plan:

Obtain two germanium detectors with the highest efficiency while

maintaining a high resolution (at > 35% the resolution drops off).  "J"

style cryostats rotated to look left and right respectively vice the normal

straight up (seems to provide the best shielding arrangement).  The output

from these two will be matched and summed.  Our hope is to get efficiency

without sacrificing resolution.

After the detectors we will have to look at amps and summer/multiplier.  I

have a recommendation to use a Ortec 475 Matching Multiplexer module but

have not had time to look into that.

So with that little bit.....any ideas on what I should put in the bid

spec?  Please reply directly to cwbecker@umich.edu or feel free to call.

I express my appreciation to those who provide assistance well in

advance.  Thanks!

Respectfully,

Christopher W. Becker, Reactor - Laboratory Manager

T h e   U n i v e r s i t y    o f     M i c h i g a n

Phoenix Memorial Laboratory - Ford Nuclear Reactor

2301 Bonisteel Boulevard

Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2100

Phone:          734.764.6224

Fax:            734.936.1571