RE: US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling

A side issue that is not often considered is the

importance of the timing of the supplementation.

In the case of iodine supplementation, a single dose

before the environmental Iodine levels elevate is a

workable countermeasure.  A problem can develop, however,

where the individual takes the iodine after the

environmental Iodine levels have dropped (i.e., after the

irradiation of the thyroid has occurred).

This leads to a situation where one may have a fairly

heavily irradiated thyroid gland (if the countermeasure

was too late), that is now being stimulated by suddenly

increased iodine levels from the administration of iodine

supplements.  This tends the thyroid to undergo

functional changes, and there is some evidence from

Chernobyl populations that the metabolic stimulation of

the irradiated organ can lead to a more rapid development

of thyroid cancer.  Thus, the suggestion is that if the

organ has already been irradiated, one should NOT

administer iodine as it may bring about metabolic changes

that would promote a more rapid development of a

potential tumor.

The time and length of administration of the iodine

supplement is critical.  It is effective if administered

BEFORE the plume arrives, but can be damaging if

administered AFTER the plume departs.  This suggests that

a pre-incident distribution of small quantites may be

appropriate, but I think there are a lot of arguments

(based upon the outcome of preventing or mitigating

cancer) suggesting that KI supplementation is certainly

not a cure-all.

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net