RE: US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling

John,

	In my limited (very) understanding of cell biology I thought the

cell membrane differentiated between the K and Na ions.  The membrane allows

K to enter the cell and keeps out the Na.  This would seem to make NaI a

better choice.  Unless of course the only way for the I to enter the cell is

due to its attachment to the K ion.

Chris A. Marthaller, RRPT

Sr. Training Coordinator, WIPP

(505) 234-8661

Chris.Marthaller@wipp.ws

I alone am to blame for my statements.

"If we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are

getting." ANON

Wes

My understanding is that the Na ion is thought to be more of a hazard than

the K ion.

John

All,

If the K in KI is potentially harmful to the heart, why not use NaI as a

thyroid blocker instead of KI? I always thought it was simply the iodine

ion (I+) that was important in blocking further uptake of radioiodine.