From: dkosloff1 [mailto:dkosloff1@EMAIL.MSN.COM]

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 10:53 AM

To: Norman Cohen; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: legionaires disease

Cooling towers come in many shapes and sizes.  The cooling tower that led to

the initial outbreak of Legionaires disease was a small one on the roof of

the Ben Franklin Hotel in Phililadelphia.  The bacteria liked the warm water

in the cooling tower.  The uncertainty was how the contaminated mist from

the cooling tower got into the conventioneers lungs.   I don't think this is

a problem in large natural-draft cooling towers.  There may be a potential

problem with smaller mechanical-draft cooling towers, similar to the one

that burned down at Brown's Ferry.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com

 2910 Main Street

Perry OH 44081