RE: [Fwd: [OEM] [OEM!] US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling]

I have read the follow-ups to this before replying, and several people have

brought up some valid effects of potassium levels.  However ...

My father having taken potassium supplements for years, I offer some

observations from that and other sources of knowledge.

The effects of hyperkalemia are portrayed accurately - that's why KCl is

used as one of the chemicals for executions.

Hypokalemia (not enough) has some nasty effects too, just not as quickly

fatal.  Muscle cramps are a warning signal.

The body regulates excess K pretty efficiently for the exact reason of its

action in nerve and muscle action.

The greatest risk appeared to be gastric irritation, for this reason he took

a (chelated?) version that released slower.

He took the supplements to counteract the 'washout' effect of taking a

diuretic for his heart condition.

Sodium is more detrimental than potassium; that's why some people have to

use KCl "NoSalt(tm)" instead of "real" NaCl salt.

Prevention of misuse? "Make something idiot-proof, and somebody comes up

with a better grade of idiot."

Shelf life? Infinite for the KI itself, the binder might break down after

while.

Dave Neil		neildm@id.doe.gov