RE: [Fwd: [OEM] [OEM!] US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling]

Potassium is the chief intracellular ion in the body,

Sodium is the vhief extraellular ion in the body.

> Sodium is more detrimental than potassium; that's

> why some people have to

> use KCl "NoSalt(tm)" instead of "real" NaCl salt.

Water follows sodium.  The normal isotonic level of

sodium in the blood is 0.9%. and the kidneys regulate

sodium quite well.  When Na level is increased in the

blood, there is an excess of sodium outside the cell

so the cells shift water from the cell to the blood

stream to "dilute" the blood and try to make the Na

concentration on both side of the cell membrane equal.

 This will dehydrate the cell and could damage it.

This is also why you tend to swell when eating Na-rich

foods.

If Na levels in the blood drop then the Na

concentration is higher inside the cell and water is

then diffused into the cell.  This will hydrate the

cell and could cause it to burst if the cell is

already normally hydrated.

The body cannot regulate K levels as easily as Na

levels so hyperkalemia (high K levels) is much more

dangerous to the heart than hypernatremia (high Na

levels).  Of course, some people's bodies cannot

regulate their blood pressure very efficiently and

hypernatremia could lead to a hypertensive crisis and

cause a CVA (stroke) which can also be fatal.

Be that as it may, hyperkalemia will cause cardiac

arrest quicker than hypernatremia will cause a CVA.

Be that as it may, people do NOT need to be playing

around with electrolyte balance especially when it

comes to Potassium.

What benign substances I bet many people thought

Potassium and Sodium were before this email...

Tim

http://personals.yahoo.com