RE: [Fwd: [OEM] [OEM!] US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling]

You might want to add that cells invest energy in maintaining K+ levels. This is more complex than most think - and generalities should be avoided. One of the main culprits in the maintenance of the sodium / potassium within a cell is the Na/K ATPase complex where Adenine triphosphate is broken down to adenine diphosphate + Inorganic phosphate + energy.  The energy is used to pump into the cell K and "kick out" a Na the the sodium is actively reabsorbed by the kidneys - so you do not lose it (think about salt licks and how mother nature has salt taste good to all of us).

OK now we know that the potassium is actively taken up by all cells - including in the thyroid.  And we know it is not actively reabsorbed (as to the extent of sodium) by the kidneys.  This is why KI is better than NaI.  A steady K flow is good - if you have Too much you simply get rid of it in the bathroom - not so with Sodium.

The amount of potassium is not harmfull and it is good to take KI before expoure as well as after as a chaser.

I know this from my own experience when I was checked for a Pheochromasitoma.  In which they used labeled Iodine.

And please remember there is no trouble whatsoever from significant cell damage from taking KI as well as a salt pill.

Enjoy,

Tom

---

Tom Savin