Re: lots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in calories

Norman Cohen wrote:

>   .  Don, I do disagree with you that replacing nukes with alternatives

> means more coal. From day 1 on this list I've agreed that coal sucks big

> time. When I write "Alternatives" I mean: solar, wind, wave, geothermal,

> landfill gas, some bio mass, bio diesel, efficiency, with natural gas as

> a bridge/gap filler until enough renewables come on line.

This is a clear example of an irrational philosophy!  THERE SIMPLY

_ARE_NOT_ENOUGH "RENEWABLES" PERIOD!!! to replace nuclear generation -

it is not a matter of engineering nor of new more efficient methods nor

even wishful thinking - these are low energy density resources and just

not that plentiful.

Also - you clearly don't understand what a dirty industry the Si

industry is and the horrible (non decaying) wastes that are associated

with solar panel production nor even the enormous amount of energy it

takes to produce a panel.  Also - the radioactive and other wastes

associated with geothermal.

Those of us who know some physics and can work a calculator KNOW this to

be true and therefore reject the idea of - let's start cutting out

nuclear now so that in 20 years the technology will be there for

replacement by alternative sources; IT WON'T.  We KNOW that regardless

of federal money put into research - the resource is just not there.

It paints a pretty picture - but the numbers simply don't work out.  Now

MAYBE if we were talking about only 10% of the current population and

SEVERELY reduced medical technology in order to keep it that way - MAYBE

the idyllic world in your fantasies could be.

Its nice to have dreams - those imaginations fuel future creativity -

BUT they are not the stuff to form policy on.

My vision of the future is not one of less and doing without.  Maybe

that works for you - but not for me.