lots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in calories

Hi all,

For all those radsafers who just delete my posts anyway, I've put all my

answers on one post. Doing my part to keep carpal tunnel at bay...

To Don Kosloff: I guess that I'm not in favor of the Swedish phase out

as you and Bjorn describe it. I've decided therefore to support the

Swedish Bikini Team Phase In

  .  Don, I do disagree with you that replacing nukes with alternatives

means more coal. From day 1 on this list I've agreed that coal sucks big

time. When I write "Alternatives" I mean: solar, wind, wave, geothermal,

landfill gas, some bio mass, bio diesel, efficiency, with natural gas as

a bridge/gap filler until enough renewables come on line.

    So many of you set up this false nuke vs coal dichotomy. Its a red

herring. (oops, sorry about a fish mention).

To: Chris M (who won't read this since he deletes my posts): There are

other existing organizations working on highway safety. UNPLUG Salem is

focused on Salem Units 1 and 2, and other nuclear issues. I agree that

there are many hazards on the road, and support sensible safety

measures.

To Kim Merritt: see my reply to Chris.

To: John Flood - Yes some of you have referred to my opposition to nukes

as religion. Sorry, I'm still Jewish.

     But If you define relgion as believing in the irrational, I see

where you are coming from. Disagree tho.

To: D Whitfield on my "20 year vision". I've written about this before

on the old radsafe list. If you can catch Senator Kerry's speech, or

maybe its reproduced on the LCV.org website, he laid out a "2020" plan:

20% renewables in 20 years.

  Remember folks, my job is Coordinator of UNPLUG Salem. I'm not the

technical person, I'm not the policy analyst. With those caveats, I've

said before that what is required is political will. We have the

capacity in this country to phase out nukes (worse ones first) and some

of the dirtiest coal, as new renewables come on line. The addition of

new power has to be tied to increased efficiency and to decentralized

sources like solar homes, and fuel cells. To me, making our country

energy independent is more important to national security than "star

wars", and thats where I'd place our resources and effort.

     I also totally support raising, perhaps doubling over time, gas

mileage requirements on cars, sinces cars contribute so much to global

warming.

To Michael S. and Floyd F. : I agree that enviros should walk their

talk. I don't drive an SUV. I drive a 93 Toyota that gets about 30 mpg.

I recycle, I ride my bike or walk whenever possible. I try to consume as

little electricity as possible, I'm always the person in the house

turning off lights that the kids leave on.  While mailing some ash to

every consumer might be difficult, in NJ at least, power companies are

required to show where our energy comes from. Connectiv, for example is

about 20% nuke and 60% coal and zero renewables.

To Jim Muckerhide: hoiw come you make an incorrect statement:  "all of

the power was replaced by coal" referring to Sweden, and you don't get

flamed. If I said it, my computer would catch on fire!

To: Ruth W. Its better that I don't answer you at all. I'm tired of the

insults, which you freely admit you do. Last go-round our discussions

ended up with me being tossed of radsafe. While many of you would cheer

that, I like this list and get benefit and knowledge from reading your

posts.

To: Stewart Farber - Thank you for the clarification on Seabrook.

To: Paul L - apologies for any contributions I made to off-topic posts.

To; all of you, have a Happy Thanksgiving holiday. My birthday is

Saturday. Gifts and outright bribes can be sent to the address below!

;-)

peace

norm

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)