Re: ots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in calories

Using that report is so misleading. Sure the wind may blow enough to

warrant consideration for future development, but is the land required to

build the wind farms available? How much land would be required to generate

1000 Mw electric using wind turbines? Are there currently any large scale

demonstrations of wind farms? If so, where are they, what is the current

land area used, and what is the maximum generating capacity in Mw electric?

You know it wouldn't go over very well with the general population if the

land was obtained through condemnation. There are still a lot of people

around the country who have issues with that, especially those that lost

land due to some hydroelectric/dam project.

There are some other factors here also. How many have actually been to a

wind farm? I have been around one wind turbine in my life and it sounded

like a helicopter...very annoying. Even if we could apply this uniformly to

individual homes, how many could really afford it? I have looked into

options currently available, and the up front cost for both new

construction or modifications to old homes is prohibitive, not to mention

residential covenants which preclude things such as wind turbines.

Don't get me wrong here..we need to develop this technology as with solar,

but not with the thought in mind of replacing coal or nuclear...we need

those too.

My opinions only

DJWhitfill

                    NECNP <necnp@necnp.org>

                    Sent by:                      To:     radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand       cc:

                    erbilt.edu                    Subject:     Re: ots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in

                                                   calories

                    11/21/01 09:16 AM

                    Please respond to NECNP

I would suggests that Mr. De Castro check the US DOE web site.  They did a

study in the early 1990s that said that there was enough harnessible wind

power in just three states to supply all of the electrical needs of the

US.  See Wind Energy Resource Atlas of the United States at

http://rredc.nrel.gov/wind/pubs/atlas/atlas_index.html.

AND_TYPING_MISINFORMATION_IN_ALL_CAPS_DOESN'T_MAKE_IT_ANY_MORE TRUE.

PERIOD!

Dave Pyles

At 04:29 PM 11/20/2001 -0600, Ted de Castro wrote:

>Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:38:03 -0800

>From: Ted de Castro <tdc@XRAYTED.COM>

>Subject: Re: lots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in calories

>This is a clear example of an irrational philosophy!  THERE SIMPLY

>_ARE_NOT_ENOUGH "RENEWABLES" PERIOD!!! to replace nuclear generation -

>it is not a matter of engineering nor of new more efficient methods nor

>even wishful thinking - these are low energy density resources and just

>not that plentiful.

New England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution

P. O. Box 545

Brattleboro VT 05302-0545

(802) 257-0336

necnp@necnp.org

www.necnp.org

====================

10   9   8  seven  six  5   4  three 2  one

and ker p  l   o     o     o          y

you're done

you're done for

you're done for good.