Re: ots of responses, one email, easy deleting, low in calories

November 21, 2001

Davis, CA

Sure, there are theoretically large amounts of wind power out there, and

solar power, too, but the distribution is erratic and the energy density is

very dilute. It is not practical to try to harvest these so-called

renewable energy sources, because the distributed energy cannot be

efficiently collected. It may be easy to conclude that there is enough wind

and direct solar power to meet our electrical energy needs, but the truth

is that it is not in a usable form. So the statement "THERE

SIMPLY_ARE_NOT_ENOUGH 'RENEWABLES' PERIOD!!!" may be wrong with respect to

the total energy present but it is correct with respect to its potential

usefulness.

(1) Wind power stations can only supply a meager amount of electricity

because the fraction of the wind power that can be captured is tiny. In

California we have examples of these power "stations". The fraction of the

wind power that passes them that is harvested is obviously very small.

Besides being rather ugly, these units are deadly to birds, and they occupy

considerable open space per unit of recovered energy. There is probably a

high breakdown rate because of their mechanical features, for I have

observed that a large fraction are usually out of service. Finally, the

deaths and injuries to people per MWh of electricity are probably much

higher than for other technologies. There have been electrocutions to

maintenance workers trying to repair these windmills. I do not have costs

of construction and repair, but my guess is that, as with solar, the cost

of construction and operation of these units leads to much higher energy

costs than from other technologies.

(2) The sun's rays are too dilute and intermittent for efficient use for

electrical power. With current technology it would require covering an area

of about 25 square miles with collectors and support roads to produce a

1,000 MWe system, that only works when the sun is shining. Here in

California we have lots of sun, but there are still only about 5 to 6 hours

per day in which solar power reaches peak levels. Also, think of the

environmental consequence of virtually destroying all the plant and animal

life on 25 square miles of land to equal one 1,000 MWe power plant that

shuts down every night and in bad weather. That's not an environmentally

sound approach. California would need to cover 1,000 square miles with

collectors to meet its electrical energy needs. Maybe we could use the

Mohave desert, but what about the endangered species and plants? The

so-called environmentalists complained about use of just a few hundred

acres for the Ward Valley LLRW disposal facility. More efficient collectors

would help somewhat, but solar to electrical conversion efficiency probably

will continue to be severely limited. With current technology, the cost of

collectors in terms of energy consumed and materials used in manufacture

probably exceeds the electrical energy value of ten to twenty years of use,

even assuming no breakdowns or repair costs. Consequently, commercial solar

electricity per MWh will great exceed the cost of nuclear power. Solar has

not been not cost effective, even for home roof systems, since costs

greatly exceed their power generation value. Most that have been built were

built with government (tax-payer) subsidies. They are still not a good

investment now.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140