Re: FW: NORM (understanding nuclear power/ICRP)

Sandy & others who may be interested:

When I participated in an ICRP meeting recently (Nov. 12) - about revision

of the ICRP recommendations it was pointed out that this revision is

necessary for many reasons including the future of nuclear power. One reason

for the revision - is about communication - the system should preferably be

simplified. It was said that some differential equations may have to be

replaced by common sense.

"No threshold" will not be removed and we all know that there are many

opinions here (Radsafers) on it - lets not start that debate again (just

read the archives to get into the jungle of arguments).

There are many interesting features of this ICRP work which will be finished

in about four years. Most probably it will be beneficial to the nuclear

power industry (wordings like "trivial dose" and "negligle dose" will

probably be introduced). It has escaped no one's attention that "trivial" is

a value word that needs some kind of reference - an obvious one is the

natural background but the background is a complex topic itself. The

original "controllable dose" has more or less been left - the concept that

initiated the debate & generation of ideas. The weighting factor (RBE) for

alpha may be reduced considerably (probably to make it more consistent with

various endpoints) - as a preliminary standpoint a factor of 10 rather than

20 has been mentioned. The cost-benefit perspective will certainly be

flexible in the light of   socioeconomic and/or risk cultural contexts that

may differ between countries/world regions.

The transparency of the ICRP work provides a valuable opportunity to suggest

constructive improvements & changes without propagandistic overtunes.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

>The term "nuclear" is simply too technical, and any attribute related to

>it, also becomes a factor that is also not understood.

When the industry had opportunities to explain nuclear power and how it

worked, over the decades, the opinion was, they don't need to know, they

won't understand. It is this very condescending attitude that has put us in

the defensive posture we are in today. As a matter of fact, that attitude

still exists here on Radsafe. We see it everyday.