Re: FW: NORM (understanding nuclear power/ICRP)

In a message dated 11/21/2001 10:48:42 PM Mountain Standard Time,

bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< It was said that some differential equations may have to be

 replaced by common sense. >>

huh?  Common sense told Archimedes that a ball kept rolling until it stopped

of its own accord.  The calculus was a formulation of  Newtons physics,

including Newton's second law.  Differential calculus is calcuus of more than

one dependent variable.

On a slightly less esoteric topic:  "common sense" told us for years that

ulcers were caused by stress.  Experimental observation told us that they are

caused by infection with a bacterium, helicobacter.  I could go on and on.

Common sense is not always right, and very often wrong.

On another topic:  how do you RADSAFERS out there know what I know and what I

don't know?  Actually you don't.  I assume that anyone who posts to this list

knows what he or she is talking about