RE: more: lots of answers; one email; easy deleting; no leftovers

Norm Cohen wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: Norman Cohen [mailto:ncohen12@HOME.COM]

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 1:47 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: more: lots of answers; one email; easy deleting; no leftovers

   <snip>

To Mike Stabin:  I'd disagree with you that no one has ever died from

nukes. There's the (mostly) Native American uranium miners died and

dying of assorted cancers; there people downstream from uranium

tailings; there the 1000s of workers at uranium plants like Paducah that

are dying of beryillium and other diseases; there's the higher

death/cancer/infant mortality/low birth weights around nuek plants.

   <snip>

Jim Dukelow responds:

Norm is certainly correct about the uranium miners, but I would like

citations about the tailings.  The rest of this paragraph is fantasy.  There

ARE 1000s of workers at Paducah, etc. that are dying of berylliosis and

other diseases, but so aren't we all.  Methodologically sound

epidemiological studies is what we use to decide that some particular

exposure is probably causing some specific consequence.  The epi studies do

not show that DOE workers are less healthy than other workers.  The epi

studies do not show higher death/cancer/infant_mortality/low_birth_weight

around nuclear plants.

Norm is invited to offer evidence to the contrary, but should be aware that

I have studied Joe Mangano's piece of trash paper on infant mortality around

decommissioned nuclear reactors and have studied the Interagency review

report that led to the expanded nuclear worker compensation program.

Mangano's paper uses the classical data dredging/torture techniques of his

mentor Ernest Sternglass and the data in the appendices of the Interagency

study tell a very different story from that in the text of the report.  I

would enjoy the opportunity to discuss Mangano's paper is some detail; I

have already offered RADSAFE readers my analysis of what the Interagency

report really says.

ATSDR recently did an epi study of infant mortality and neo-natal problems

around the Hanford site for the years of highest radioactivity releases.  It

shows a lot of influence of socio-economic conditions on pre-natal and

neo-natal outcomes, but not of radiation exposure.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.