Re: NCI and Hudson Riverkeepers Request Emergency Shutdown of IP 2/3

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:19:49 -0800

From: "Jerry Cohen" <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET>

Subject: Re: NCI and Hudson Riverkeepers Request Emergency Shutdown of IP

2/3

As I recall, a few decades ago, Indian Point was required to

reconfigure their cooling water intakes to avoid "excessive"

fish kills. This was done, and  a cursory economic  analysis

was performed  to determine the cost effectiveness of this action.

Amortized over the expected plant lifetime, the estimated

cost-effeciveness was ~$80/fish saved. I don't know what the

actual cost turned out to be, but apparently Hudson River fish

are pretty expensive.