Re: NCI and Hudson Riverkeepers Request Emergency Shutdown of IP 2/3

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:34:39 -0500

From: Norman Cohen <ncohen12@HOME.COM>

Subject: Re: NCI and Hudson Riverkeepers Request Emergency Shutdown of IP

2/3

Dear Tim,

You ask if my habits have changed siince 9/11. Basically, the only thing

I'm reluctant to do right now is fly. Otherwise I haven't changed much,

which is what President Bush has urged us all to do, to live our lives

normally. The more we change and fear, the more the terrorist bastards

win.

I agree with all of you who have posted that there are more likely and

equally dangerous (you'd say more dangerous) terrorist targets than

nukes. I agree with you all that airline security is a top priority.

The biggest problem you ahve is the public perception that nukes are

inherently daangerous. Any terror attack on a nuke, whether successful

or not, may well result in a public panic that kills more people than

radiation would. BUT, there is a chance, perhaps as much a chance as

having 4 airliners hi-jacked at once and crashed into tall buildings,

that a terrorist could indeed attack a nuke and either break containment

or hit a spent fuel pool, or cut off outside power while destroying the

diesel generators. The only sure answer to stop nukes from being a

target is to remove the target.

    Where we (menaing me and most of radsafe-world) disagree is in

perception of risk. And we had a long discussion about this on the

radsafe list before it moved to its new lcoation.  I personally do not

think that my local reactors, Salem 1, 2, and Oyster Creek, and to a

lesser extent, Hope Creek, are worth the risk to NJ citizens when there

are alternatives available. I've listed my reasons before. You disagree.

Thats fine.

   As far as IP 2/3, they are aging reactors near NYC. Their track

record is poor, and we were lucky when the steam generator tube blew in

IP2 that there wasn't a major accident. For the people living near IP

2/3, its not worth the risk. For you all, it probably is.

  Peace,

Norm

Tim wrote:

> Norm, these comments are not directed to you but are

> just thoughts of mine.

- --

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)