Re: Radium dial watches

Date: 13 Nov 2001 10:27:53 -0600

From: Wayne Schlitt <wayne@MIDWESTCS.COM>

Subject: Re: Radium dial watches

In <820608AF4C24D41188CB00508B6F244F049419F4@mailqmvd.comp.wepco.com>

"Johansen.Kjell" <Kjell.Johansen@wepco.com> writes:

> as to the dose to my left wrist and decided to run a test.  I visited the

RP

> office and told them what I would like to do and they supplied a film

packet

> for a film badge to measure the exposure. I wrapped the film is Al foil

and

> Saran wrap to protect it from light and moisture.  After one month the

film

> was sent in for processing.  The Landauer evaluation was contaminated,

1000

> mrem.

Maybe i'm confused, but 1000 mrem doesn't sound too bad.  A watch is,

effectively, a point source of radiation and while 1000 mrem/month of

full body radiation wouldn't be good, 1000 mrem/month to your very

slow growing and boney wrist doesn't sound too bad to me.  It is my

understanding that the "safe level" of radiation for your hands and

wrist is 19rem/quarter (yes, rem, not mrem).  I wouldn't recommend

sleeping with it on your wrist, especially if you like to rest your

head on your wrist.

- -wayne