Cs137/Ba137m generators

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:52:09 -0800

From: "Michael Kay" <makay43@HOME.COM>

Subject: Cs137/Ba137m generators

Please note, it has been my experience in two states, MO and OR that while

exempt quantities apply to a device, they also apply to a specific facility.

A university cannot just acquire as many devices of an exempt nature as it

wants because the total sum of the activity would be above the exempt

quantity for the facility.

Another note is that there is no such thing as an exempt quantity for any of

the broad licensee categories, again because the total could exceed

possession limits.

Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM

Licensed Health Physics Consultant

State of Oregon