Re: Cs137/Ba137m generators

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:40:04 EST

From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

Subject: Re: Cs137/Ba137m generators

- --part1_131.48e9f38.29244cc4_boundary

In a message dated 11/14/2001 10:12:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,

hresources@NEXTEP.CC writes:

> I always have interpreted and exempt quantity as appling to a device.

> Remember, the MANUFACTURER of the device is licensed to distribute the

> device as exempt.  Therefore, the device itself has been through the

> regulatory grist mill and has been deemed acceptable for manufacture and

> for general distribution.

I believe, however, that the NRC interpretation is that "persons" are

exempt,

not devices or sources, thus if you have a specific license, you cannot be a

person exempt, even for the purposes of receiving a source that could be

distributed to persons who are exempt.

Was that as clear as mud?  I thought so.

When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to check with your regulating agency.

Thank you,

Barbara L. Hamrick

BLHamrick@aol.com