Re: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

Re Norm Cohen on PNAS (paper full ref : Zhou et al. Radiation risk to low

fluencies of alpha particles may be greater than we thought, PNAS

98(14410-14415, Dec 4 2001)

Otto Raabe is right.  There is no indication of supra-linearity at low

dose - or dose rates of alpha radiation. Otto mentioned the radium dial

painters. There are also thresholds at about 2 Gy (40,000 mSv) in Thorotrats

patients (Andersson, M.;  Storm, H.H.   Cancer incidence among Danish

Thorotrast-exposed patients,  Journal of the National Cancer Institute,

84:1318-1325, 1992.).  There are thresholds at about 0.8 Gy (1,600 mSv) for

lung cancer in workers exposed to plutonium at the Mayak (Urals) plant

(Tokarskaya Z. et al. Multifactorial analysis of lung cancer dose-response

relationship for workers at the Mayak Nuclear Enterprise, Health Physics

Vol. 73 No. 6, pp. 899-905, 1997).

Jim Nelson reminds us of BEIR VI and of the Iowa study; Otto of Bernie

Cohen's work.  Radon epidemiology would be more instructive if real

uncertainties in exposures (and, if low radiation dose to the lung is the

cause of cancer, all non-radon lung doses - and associated errors - received

by uranium miners) were taken into account in determining comprehensive

error bars.  Bernie Cohen's work has been criticized but I may have missed a

numerical refutation of his conclusions (how big should have been the

confounders and what correlation should there be between them to account for

the discrepancy with LNT predictions?).

Otto's on work shows that latency time increases with decreasing dose rate

and exceeds the lifespan of animals when it is low enough (practical

thresholds) See Raabe O.G.  Three-dimensional model of risk from internally

deposited radionuclides, In: Raabe O.G. ed., Internal radiation dosimetry.

Medical Physics publishing, pp. 633-655, 1984).

Sanders (Sanders, C.L.; McDonald, K.E.; Mahafey, J.A.  Lung tumor response

to inhaled Pu and its implications for radiation protection.  Health Physics

Vol. 55, pp.455-462, 1988) showed thresholds at about 1 Gy for lung cancer

in rats after inhalation of PuO2.

Morlier et al. Morlier, J.P.; Morin, M.;  Chameaud, J.;  Masse, R.; Bottard,

S.; Lafuma J.  Importance du rôle du débit de dose sur l'apparition des

cancers chez le rat après inhalation de radon.  C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, t.

315, Série III, 463-466, 1992) show that a low dose (about a lifetime indoor

exposure) of radon progeny delivered at a high dose rate induces lung

cancer.  The same low dose given at low dose rate seems to decrease the risk

below that in controls.

Ron Mitchel et al. (R.E.J. Mitchel, B. Heinmiller, and J. S. Jackson,

Inhaled Uranium Ore Dust and Lung Cancer Risk in Rats, Health Physics, 76,

145-155 (1999) show that the risk of lung cancer in rats after inhalation of

very high grade (40% U) uranium ore dust is proportional to dose rate rather

than dose. Median survival time was higher in the lowest exposure group than

in the control group.

All the above (other examples can be found) contradict the affirmation that,

mutation rates observed at low fluences of alpha radiation (I quote Zhou et

al.) "...suggest(s) that the assumption of direct proportionality in

radiation risk assessment is seriously in error".

In vitro mutations as well as bystander effects are real but the acid test

for their extraploation to whole organisms is provided by experimental and

clinical observations in real people or animals, when confounders can be

measured or estimated with enough confidence and when normal cell and tissue

controle mechanisms are allowed to play their role.  To date, the data seem

to indicate that there is no supra-linearity for cancer risk at low doses

(and dose rates) of alpha radiation. Examples of supra-linearity of alpha

radiation risk (in animal or people), with error bars that take all sources

of error into account are welcome.

Sorry for giving so many details!

Philippe Duport

International Centre for Low Dose Radiation Research

University of Ottawa

555 King Edward Ave.

Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1N 6N5

Tel: (613) 562 5800, ext. 1270