RE: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

I diasagree totally with what you wrote below. What you are saying below is

that smoking is not an important factor for lung cancer.  You really think

"ethnic variations, medical services, reporting variations, chemicals in the

environment and in the food,respiratory illness, etc, and just plain

statistical variations" cause prclude a good correlation between smoking and

lung cancer for the counties?  The number of standard deviations are not

important.  What is important is that the smoking rates for counties are

actually predictive of the lung cancer rates for those counties.  The

smoking rates you use really show an inability to predict the lung cancer in

those counties.  If you can not predict the lung cancer in the counties

using your smoking rates, how can you even attempt to examine the validity

of the LNT?  If there is such huge variation between the smoking rates and

the correlated lung cancer rates for those counties, you are not able to

control for smoking.  I also note there is a huge unexplained inverse

relationship between your radon measurments and the smoking rates for the

counties.  While I would like to know the reason for this inverse relation,

it is obvious that by not using good smoking exposure data, you are left

wwith residual condfounding from smoking to explain your finding.

Jim Nelson