Re: Risks of low level radiation - Final post

From: BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU>

	--Can you please be specific about what you find objectionable

about my work? Saying it is "ecologic" is name-calling, not being

specific. My conclusion is that the linear-no threshold theory fails,

grossly exaggerating the risk of low level radiation -- I would call that an

assessment of lung cancer risk, although it is not a direct

quantitative determination of what those risks are.

Yes,

Dr. Cohen,

Several people have suggested we take this discussion off the list.  But, I

thought the reference below may be of interest to the list.  Out of respect

for those individuals, this will be my last post, at this time, concerning

this topic.  I would be glad to cobtinue it off list.

It is not name calling.  It is Epidemiology 101.  Ecologic studies should be

reserved for formulating hypotheses, not testing them. Saying you are

testing the LNT does not automatically validate the ecologic method. I find

it objectionable that you think you can use aggregrate measures of exposure

and confounding risk factors to determine the validity of the LNT. If your

methods are so sound, why have epidemiology journals not accepted them for

publication.  Please obtain a copy of this document posted previously on

this site.  It clearly describes the limitations of ecologic studies and the

precautuions that are required when interpreting such data.

Federal Focus Inc. Principles for Evaluating Epidemiologic Data in

Regulatory Risk Assessment. Developed by an Expert Panel at a Conference in

London, England, October 1995, Washington, DC: Federal Focus, Inc., 1996.

Summary version has been made available at:

http://www.pnl.gov/berc/epub/risk/index.html.

Jim Nelson