Re: Risks of low level radiation - Final post

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Jim Nelson wrote:

> From: BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU>

> 	--Can you please be specific about what you find objectionable

> about my work? Saying it is "ecologic" is name-calling, not being

> specific. My conclusion is that the linear-no threshold theory fails,

> grossly exaggerating the risk of low level radiation -- I would call that an

> assessment of lung cancer risk, although it is not a direct

> quantitative determination of what those risks are.

> Yes,

> It is not name calling.  It is Epidemiology 101.  Ecologic studies should be

> reserved for formulating hypotheses, not testing them.

	--Epidemiology 101 is superseded by "The Scientific Method" which

requires that all data must be explainable (not necessarily explained) in

a not implausible way. All you have to do is offer an explanation that I

cannot prove to be highly implausible. I can easily do this for any other

published ecological study, but not for mine.

 Saying you are

> testing the LNT does not automatically validate the ecologic method.

	--Nothing is claimed to be automatic. I offer mathematical proof

for everything I say.

 I find

> it objectionable that you think you can use aggregrate measures of exposure

> and confounding risk factors to determine the validity of the LNT.

	--If you find it objectionable, it should be very easy for you to

concoct an explanation for my data. You don't have to prove it is valid;

it is then up to me to show that it is not valid.

 If your

> methods are so sound, why have epidemiology journals not accepted them for

> publication.

	--Apparently some epidemiology referees do not understand "The

Scientific Method".

  Please obtain a copy of this document posted previously on

> this site.  It clearly describes the limitations of ecologic studies and the

> precautuions that are required when interpreting such data.

	--I am quite familiar with the literature on ecological studies.

But they do not supersede "the Scientific Method".