RE: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

At 10:33 AM 12/10/01 -0500, Jacobus, John (OD/ORS) wrote:

>Otto,

>I believe there were postings about soot or fine particles as being a cause

>for lung diseases in cities.  Could this be the confounding factor for which

>you are looking?

December 10, 2001

Lung cancer rates are elevated in almost all urban areas, presumably

because of the influence of air pollution. Denver is not free of air

pollution now, but overall Colorado probably has cleaner air than most

places.

By the way, one of the lowest lung cancer rates is in Hawaii. There we find

both clean air and low radon.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140