RE: Lancet Dec. 8th abstract - Chernobyl thyroid cancer incidence

I think that the point of the article is that the thyroid cancers show up in

those children who were born before the accident of 4/26/86 because they

were actively consuming foodstuffs from the environment (milk, veggies,

etc.) on their own when the I-131 was released. Those born immediately after

the accident presumably had not been weaned by the time the I-131 had

decayed substantially. If they ingested any via breast milk, it was heavily

filtered by their mothers first. The article could have been more explicit

about this reasoning, assuming I have interpreted it correctly.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR

Associate Physicist

Department of Medical Physics

Main Bldg Rm 317