Re: Recent safety hazards at aging nuclear plants

Re: replacing aging reactors with wind power..  the story below was published earlier this year.  I guess wind power is great as long as 1)its not in my backyard 2) I don't have to look at the wind turbines, 3) I don't have to hear the wind turbines .  Where oh where do we put these turbines?? North Dakota? and how in the world do we get cost efficient electricity to the huge demand area known as the east coast??  Its not that easy Norm, saying the words "replace them with alternative energy, especially wind." shows either naivete (as in "I wish for world peace") or just plain ignorance of the issue of electrical generation and transmission and the role of relatively inexpensive electricity in our continued economic survival/growth.

USA: July 30, 2001

             NEW YORK - With the hot weather this past

             week and the energy shortage caused by

             heavy air conditioning, the Long Island

             Power Authority (LIPA) is pushing hard for

             new sources of generation on Long Island.

             "Our energy supply on Long Island for this summer

             is tight. If we don't increase available resources

             significantly by next summer, we'll have an energy

             supply shortage that could mean rolling blackouts

             during sustained heat waves," LIPA Chairman

             Kessel warned in a statement.

             Nevertheless, some Long Island residents

             continue to put up stiff resistance to building new

             power plants.

             A meeting scheduled by the New York State

             Public Service Commission (PSC) in Commack,

             N.Y. on Thursday turned into a screaming match

             as Long Island residents fought over a proposed

             300-megawatt power plant in Smithtown, N.Y. in

             Suffolk County.

             The PSC said the public meeting was supposed

             to provide interested members of the public an

             opportunity to comment on the proposed scope of

             environmental studies to be conducted by Kings

             Park Energy LLC, which is developing the plant.

             Kings Park is a subsidiary of diversified energy

             giant PPL Corp. of Allentown, Pennsylvania.

             Jim Potter, executive director for Kings Park, said

             the project was important for Long Island because

             of the jobs, taxes and electricity it would provide.

             "On Wednesday, the electricity demand on Long

             Island came perilously close to causing

             blackouts," Potter said, warning that while

             Wednesday was warm, temperatures were far

             from record-breaking.

             Temperatures reached 94 degrees F in the New

             York City metropolitan area on Wednesday.

             Potter said PPL expects to have the six-unit

             natural gas plant operational by the summer of

             2003.

             LONG ISLAND WIND

             In addition to working with several power plant

             developers on Long Island, the LIPA said it was

             considering a wind power project for its 1.1 million

             customers on the breezy island.

             "We're looking into the feasibility of wind power

             for Long Island," said LIPA spokesman Michael

             Lowndes, adding that the state-owned power

             distributor did not yet have a plan for where the

             project would be built.

             Lowndes noted, however, LIPA Chairman Kessel

             wants to accelerate the wind power study, making

             it one of several options available to help bolster

             Long Island's power supply.

             This is not the first time wind power has been

             proposed.

             Last year, a plan was launched to build three wind

             turbines on state-owned land at Montauk Point, on

             the island's extreme eastern tip, as a

             demonstration project that would have powered

             the recreation area's concession stand and other

             facilities.

             Residents of the summer resort town, however,

             opposed the project, claiming among other things

             it would be unsightly and noisy.

             LIPA abandoned the Montauk project, but is

             looking for a more remote location for its wind

             turbines.

Se Reuters: http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=11804

Patricia A. Milligan, CHP

USNRC

301-415-2223

>>> Norman Cohen <ncohen12@HOME.COM> 12/11/01 02:00PM >>>

HI John,

Now what do you think I'm going to say? ;-)  Sorry, but I respectfully reply

that this shows we need to phase out the oldest and most dangerous plants and

replace them with alternative energy, especially wind.

Peace,

Norm