Re: lochbaum on nuke plant aging

Norm provided a Dave Lochbaum article that listed many plant system failures due to

"assumed aging." The correlation therefore is that since there is aging, that all units

should be shutdown. Based on this philosophy, I assume that UCS also demands

that all mechanical systems that obviously age, should also be shutdown? Recently

we had the American Airline Airbus 300 crash, due to a composite tail (most likely

cause) that crashed after aging. We also had the TWA 747 crash a few years ago

due to wear around wiring insulation. We have other example similar to this, in all

forms of transportation. Homes age and fires are caused by wiring wear. So, do we

all shutdown these other components as well? In the single Airbus crash, more

people have died in just 1 moment than in all of the years of private and government

run nuclear programs in the USA. I would venture to speculate that this is still true

considering all of the world nuclear units.

If UCS is so concerned about prevention of death and destruction, I wonder why they

don't tackle a "real" problem, where there can be a demonstrable positive effect?

Perhaps they simply like to run on the "fear factor".

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com