Ecological Study- I Need a Primer!

Radsafers,

Help me out here in regards to this issue of "ecological" studies.  Let me

say right up front, that in this arena I am generally ignorant.  As for me,

the answer to the now-famous question: "Are you a statistician?" is

emphatically: "No!"

As I understand it, an "ecological" study simply looks at a broad cohort of

people and looks to see whether certain conditions (health indicators) exist

in relationship to some varying influence, without defining a mechanism for

how the influence produces an effect on health.  Is this correct?

By contrast, an "epidemiological" study seeks to prove something by

identifying the mechanism.  Is this correct?

If my assumptions are correct, I am puzzled as to why the use of an

"ecological" study for disproving LNT is so roundly impugned, when this

seems to be a credible approach in other technical fields.  For instance,

yesterday NPR had a story about a new study showing that women with breast

cancer do not live longer if they participate in a support group.  A

previous study had asserted the opposite.  Both of these studies (as I

understand) simply looked at a large group of women and compared group

involvement vs. mortality, with no significant attempt to identify a

cause-effect mechanism.  Yet, within the medical community these studies

carry notable weight.

So, educate me.  Please feel free to respond directly to my email, or post

if you think the group would be interested.

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks

Facility Safety-EUO Restart

BWXT Y-12