Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: Double Checking Your Calculations

Kai and friends,

My mistake(s)!  Like any other calculations, back of the envelope calculations should also be checked ...

1 -  The gamma constant for Bi 214 is 2.25 E-4 Rem per h per MBq (not Bq).
2 - I mixed up flowrate units - I used liter per second instead of metre cube per second (concentrations were in Bq per meter cube).

For 37 Bq/m3 of Rn and 1 L/s the dose rate at 1 m would be about 150 pSv/h.   At 3 m3/s and Rn concentration = 37 Bq/m3, the dose rate would be about 0.5 microSv/h.  It would take a lot of radon for filters to emit a significant dose rate.

My facer is red, sorry for the confusion.

The Oak Ridge table for gamma constants can be found at   http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/documents/pdf/reports/RSIC45r1.pdf

Philippe Duport