Re: Source of cancer data

	Many thanks to Otto and to all who responded to my question about

incidence vs mortality.

	A few last comments: The LNT theory I was testing was based on

lung cancer mortality --not incidence-- among uranium miners. On the other

hand, there were autopsies done by experienced pathologists on all these

cases. I don't believe they were included if they died of causes other

than lung cancer.

	Another cause for differences between our mortality data and

Field's incidence data is that different time periods were covered. We

used 1970-1979 in the original paper and 1979-1994 in the Update paper;

there was little difference in national results between them. Statistics

is also an important issue as many counties have less than 5 cases per

year.

	Since my studies cover the entire nation, there was little choice

for me in using mortality data. Moreover, all of the problems considered

in this discussion should average out in considering data for 1600

counties from all over U.S. To matter, there would have to be a strong

correlation between these problems and radon levels, extending all over

the nation. There would be a much better chance for such a correlation

within a single state.

Bernard L. Cohen

Physics Dept.

University of Pittsburgh