Re: Source of cancer data

----- Original Message -----

From: "BERNARD L COHEN" <blc+@PITT.EDU>

To: "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>

Cc: "John Williams" <JohnWi@law.com>; "internet RADSAFE"

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 5:10 PM

Subject: Re: Source of cancer data

The claim, cancer data based on incidence are better than mortality ist

right:

1. Not all cancers are lethal so these were missed in an analysis based on

mortality data only.

2. Data based on mortality include progress in curing cancer and can pretend

a decrease in cancer incidence when no decrease happend or even an increase

occurred..

This is not so important when lung cancer is an issue, because lung cancer

is rarely curable. About 90% of the diseased do not survive the next 5

years.

Regards, Karl

PreCura Institute for Preventive Medicine

Fon/Fax 0049-3338-3221

www.precura.de