Re: Re: Re: Source of cancer data

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, John Williams wrote:

> In the 1999 paper, they said Cohen has yet to provide a persuasive

> argument for our findings in Iowa (Smith et al 1998) which

> predominately used your own aggregate data.

	--I have responded to this in previous e-mail messages

> 1) You used lung cancer mortality rates from a time period before the

> the county radon exposure information you used.  Instead, the county

> averages should have been from 20 years or so before the lung cancer

> mortality data.

	--This applies to every radon vs lung cancer study ever reported,

including case-control studies and all of the Iowa work. I have given

arguments for average radon levels in a county not changing with time,

whereas such arguments are much less valid for studies of individuals,

like case-control studies. Radon causes lung cancers to occur 10 to 50 or

more years after exposure.

> 2) Their figure 2 shows the large slopes and error bars associated

> with the mortality data you used as compared to SEER incidence data.

> I do not have your data or theirs on hand.  But, it looks easy to

> recalculate with the data in hand.

	--Their Fig. 2 has no units attached to the axis. It does not show

anything about our data. It does not explain what the error bars mean and

how they were calculated. It does not clearly explain how they correct for

smoking

 > > I'll let you do the math.

	--You will have to explain to me how to do it. My data are

available for easy electronic transmittal if you want them.