From: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com [mailto:SAFarberMSPH@cs.com]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 4:03 PM
To: Jacobus, John (OD/ORS); radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Ship Yard Workers - Journal Publication vs. Report/Thesis Findings Issue
 . . .

Don't apologize John for not realizing that solid scientific evidence exists documenting an 8.6 fold Relative Risk for Graves Disease [thyrotoxicosis] per Sandler's thesis and "unpublished" papers, which Sandler felt was due to intense irradiation of the pituitary gland which is located quite proximal to the Eustachian tube opening where the Nasal Radium Irradiation applicators were positioned. Sandler hypothesized that pituitary function was upset due to the irradiation it received in the NRI procedure, and the pituitary's  production of TSH [Thyroid Stimulating Hormone] was out of balance leading to thyrotoxicosis  developing.
. . .