Re: activated rocks

This is interesting. I'm just thinking aloud, and maybe someone

else will correct me, but if you really have Mn-54 from (n,p) in

Fe-54, you probably also have a lot of Fe-55. It is MUCH more

likely to be produced and it's half-life is three times longer.

It is hard to find with gamma analysis (since it decays by

electron capture), but you should see the x-rays down around 5.9

to 6.4 keV. Most gamma specs don't look that low, so you'd have

to use an x-ray detector (SiLi or similar).

Another possible source is (n,2n) with Mn-54, but that seems

unlike to me. Anyone have a better idea? Have I missed something

obvious?

Stephen

sfrantz@yahoo.com

http://greetings.yahoo.com