Fw: Shipyard workers and references

Don,

I assume that you did not served at a Navy shipyard or would know

differently.  We spent lots of money , more than I would have expected, to

reduce exposures and ensure workers safety from all hazards.  Despite your

belief in a grand conspiracy, DOE, the Navy, and other federal agencies and

entities worked to avoid conserve resources (read public funds) and obey

regulations.  We fought in Dept of Labor cases to ensure cases without merit

were decided in our favor.  Your claim that the Navy, and DOE do not pay for

radiation-induced cancers claims is true, but

not for the reasons you claim.

If you look at the current government compensation programs, none involved

the Navy or its contractors.  Yes, congressmen love to give money to groups

that appeared to suffer unjustly at the hands of the govenment.  However, do

not blame the agencies for this spending.  We followed the rules, protected

the workers and get the bad press.

If you want to voice your opinions, I suggest you contact your

representatives and respond to calls for public input in what is being done.

I hope you think people who suffered for lack of adequate protection

programs, e.g., asbestos exposures,  hundreds of mSv of exposure from

radaon, etc., should be compensated.  It is a frivilous claims that we

should protest against.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist