Re: Ship Yard Workers - John Boice

 From: "jenday1" <jenday1@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

> Ted,

> Where is your proof that "the un-substantiated charge of selection bias in

> NCRP-136 is without merit?"

First, NCRP does NOT actually claim there is selection bias, it just assumes

it must exist, more by innuendo.  The actual statement is quoted in Comments

on 136 by a member of the NSWS TAP, which provides more background, at:

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/NCRP136/JrCcmts.htm

See the "3rd page."

>Because Arthur Upton was the involved with NCRP

> 136 and the NSW study?  In law, the term is habeas corpus, and you have not

> produced any facts, just opinions that this was a valid study.  Are you an

> epidemiologist?  I know that in the nuclear shipyards, only certain workers

> were selected for work on nuclear components.

Not true.  The workers went through the same qualifications.  The study

itself spent several years resolving what factors could influence

differences, and eliminating or minimizing them.  The fundamental principle

of this study over all others was/is the selection of the specific

populations used, and with such a large work force they could be very

selective to match nuke and non-nuke workers. Further, the Navy says that "a

family history of cancer could keep some qualified workers in non-nuke

work," but they also state there were few such cases (a dozen?+) no effect

in a population of 75,000 workers in the study (out of 108,000 nukes in

700,000 workers).

> Was Dr. Upton asked about the omission of this report, and what was his

> response?

No response either at the March 1999 meeting at NRC, nor at the June 2001

HPS meeting in Cleveland.  As in previous years, going back to release of

BEIR V, he just kind of swallows his tongue. In one meeting, about '94, when

he was asked very directly, he responded by turning to the chair and panel,

and said only, "you know what he's talking about, hormesis" and said no

more.  Questioning the NCRP is like fighting the blob :-)

Jim