Request for information

Morning All,

I am look for a product for one of our facilities here at Hanford.  They

have a number of cans, ~10" in diameter, with high side walls, ~24" high,

that they would like to dip into some ?? liquid, let hang for ~30 minutes to

dry and to fix high levels of loose surface contamination.  The cans are

then removed from the enclosure and placed in a burial box, the box is

grouted and then buried.  They are actually looking for a short term

fixative, just for the transfer of the cans from the closure to the box and

the box closure.  They have experimented with a number of coating, paints

and etc.  Either they don't coat the surfaces well (stainless steel),

especially inside the can, do not dry in a timely manner, or never dry

totally, the solution separates over a short period and they loose the

concentration required for coating, partial because of residual water in the

cans.  One of the latest suggestions here,  was to use wax.  We at the

Center have not had any experience of using wax as a fixative.  Has anyone

else within Radsafe had any experience good or bad with wax on stainless

steel??  Any suggestions as to a possible fix to this issue would be

appreciated.  Please contact me directly at mailto:jerald_l_eby@rl.gov

Jerry Eby

ALARA Center of Technology

Fluor Hanford