Re: Ship Yard Workers - John Boice

 From: hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net

> John,

> Pollycove presented Biologic and Epidemiologic Foundations of Radiation

> Hormesis at our Doctors for Disaster Preparedness meeting July 14, in great

> detail that confirms the shorter wave lengths as being as "essential" as those

> in sunlight to good health, better when double to 100 x the current USA

> gulfcoast exposure. You can get the videotapetape showing slides from

> jersnav@mindspring.com

> Muckerheide gave political description at our 2000 meeting. An audiotape of

> that could answer your political question.

> Happy Holidays

> Howard Long

> "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" wrote:

>> Howard,

>> While Dr. Cameron was a member of the TAP, he really does not give a good

>> explanation of why the report was not published in the literature.

DOE didn't shared that with TAP.  ORISE contract administrators were

frustrated in '94 with Matanoski's failure to publish, but DOE HQ (and Navy)

didn't share their "separate influence" with them either.  They said then

that the contract had run out of money. Funding was offered! :-)  So when

they provided continuing funding to Matanoski in '94 (enabling her to leave

Epi Dept Chair) we wanted to know when the paper would be pub'd.  Hah!

>>However, it is available for review as a DOE report.

So what? It's not considered. It's not out to scientific review. (Though as

you know such papers when pub'd are often "cooked" (like Miller 89,

Cardis/IARC '95, etc.) and many that aren't cooked are simply ignored with

impunity by the rad protection policy establishment (as with NCRP with

hundreds of studies provided to them), whether pub'd by giants or by the

rigorously disciplined researchers who don't work just for political and

funding support.)

>> I am sorry, but I do not buy the idea that ionizing radiation is an

>> essential energy.

Well at least you are sorry!  The literature consistently shows detrimental

effects from suppressing background radiation, and recovery by adding

endogenous or anthropomorphic sources.  Separately, the biophotonic research

of the last decade has shown the linkage clearly.

>> At the levels we are considering, I doubt effects could be differentiated

>> from random biological variability.

But if you had read any of the refs you would see that this isn't true. Just

sent results for high-background and rad workers showing adaptive response,

and lab studies on animals show dramatic changes in underlying process from

low doses.

Jim

>> -- John

>>> Jim,

>>> As you probably know, or refuse to acknowledge, the Nuclear Shipyard

>> Worker

>>> Study was published as DOE/EV/10095-T2, "Health Effects of Low-Level

>>> Radiation in Shipyard Workers, Final Report."  I do not argue against

>> claims

>>> made by you or others about its results or analysis, (I am not a

>>> statistician or epidemiologist), but I do object to the false claim that

>> it

>>> was never published.

>>> These accusations are similar to your false claims that research is not

>>> funded for studies of "hormesis," when you post findings on your Web site.

>>> -- John

>>> John Jacobus, MS

>>> Certified Health Physicist

>>> 3050 Traymore Lane