Re: Ecologic Limitations

Dear John Williams,

I, too, am familiar with the limitations of epidemiologic designs (they can suggest, not prove).

To focus my response, please answer this:

Do you believe that the headline "Radon causes lung cancer", stated in CA -A Journal for Clinicians, is justified? Samet wrote that, although Field

writes me that such an inference would require reproducible double blind experiments.

To say, "Yes" because probably true of  miners receiving 10 to 100 x the dose  in homes, is like scaring people with "Vit D causes liver damage" (to

stop its addition to milk), or "Iodine is poison!" (to stop iodized salt correction of goiter). I prescribe poison 10 x a day. Most medicines will

kill you with from 10 to 100 x the prescribed dose. Dose is everything. Let's find the right dose for ionizing radiation in homes. Benefit seems

present to 6pCi/l radon.

Ionizing radiation may be an essential (and neglected) trace energy.

There is more evidence for the harm of deficiency than harm from overdose.

Best Wishes for the new year,

Howard Long